We have identified several areas where additional education and training is needed for staff:
- A changed approach to training staff in the advanced communications skills needed to manage difficult conversations and shared decision making
- Training on early recognition of signs of conflict and how to de-escalate this
- Specific clinical training; for example in the management of children with complex disabilities on the ward, palliative care, management of technology dependent children at home, ethics and law etc.
We also know that parents also need training to help them in the situation in which they find themselves.This group is undertaking the following activities:
- Planning the best approach to share existing educational resources for both clinical staff and families
- Conducting a needs assessment of what clinical feel they need and cannot access in terms of new educational resources
- Planning the best approach for developing new resources that are accessible and scaleable.